Collection and Use of Information
Of further note about the information we collect:
- Content Sharing: The information and material you share on the Site are intended for viewing by other Site users, including your photos, comments, geographic location, and personal information. By posting on the Site, you agree to permit us to disclose the information and material you post, including disclosure to other users or to the general public.
- Communications: When you enter your email address on the Site you are opting in to receive communications from us or about Middle East Matters, including promotional, marketing, and advertising information and recommendations that Middle East Matters believes may be of interest to you. Consistent with applicable laws, including United States CAN-SPAM laws, you can opt out of certain email communications by clicking “unsubscribe” on those communications, but note that you cannot opt out of receiving certain administrative or legal notices from us.
- Site Activity/Automatically Collected Information: We collect and may store information about your use of the Site, such as your search activity, the pages you view, and the date and time of your visit. We also collect and may store information that your computer or mobile device provides to us in connection with your use of the Site, such as your browser type and version, type of computer or mobile device, computer connection, browser language, IP address, ad data, mobile carrier, unique device identifier, Wi-Fi connection, geo-location, and requested and referring URLs.
Cookies And Other Tracking Technologies
It may be possible to disable Cookies through your device or browser settings. The method for disabling cookies may vary by device and browser, but can usually be found in preferences or security settings. Disabling cookies may, however, affect your ability to use the Site.
Sharing Your Information
We may share the information we collect about you with third parties in connection with your use of the Site. Our information-sharing with third parties falls into these categories and purposes:
- Agents, Contractors, Business Partners and Service Providers: We may share your information with our agents, contractors, business partners or other service providers and third parties as needed to host, operate and carry out the performance and functionality of the Site, improve the Site, fulfill your requests, facilitate relevant marketing and sharing information about us and our activities to you, or provide customer support. We cannot control third parties’ use of your information. Generally, however, we limit the information provided to service providers to that which is reasonably necessary for them to perform their functions, and we require them to agree to maintain the confidentiality of such information.
- Other Third Parties: We may share your information with certain third parties who may contact you regarding related education initiatives.
- Other Users/General Public: Information that you post on the Site (e.g., photos, comments, geographic location, your profile) may be made available to other users of the Site and the general public.
- Aggregate Information: Middle East Matters may share information relating to visitors and users of the Site with affiliated or unaffiliated third parties on an aggregate basis. While this information will not identify you personally, in some instances these third parties may be able to combine this information with other data they have about you, or that they receive from third parties, in a manner that allows them to associate this aggregated data with your personal data.
- Investigations: We may investigate and disclose information from or about you, as permitted by applicable law, if we have a good-faith belief that such investigation or disclosure is (a) reasonably necessary to comply with legal process and law enforcement instructions and orders, such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, judicial proceeding or other legal process served on us; (b) helpful to prevent, investigate or identify possible wrongdoing in connection with the Site; or (c) helpful to protect our rights, reputation, property or that of our users, subsidiaries or the public.
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. The Site is intended for general audiences and is not directed to children under 13. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13 years of age, then you are not permitted to use the Site in any manner that reveals personally identifiable information about yourself (such as your name, email, address or location). If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under 13 years has obtained an account on the Site, then you may alert us at [email protected] and request that we delete that child’s personally identifiable information from our systems.
We allow minors between ages 13 and 18 to use the Site and also permit such minor users control over removing any content or information they have posted to the Site. If you are a minor between ages 13 and 18 and would like content or information removed and are having difficulty removing the content or information on your own, please send your removal requests or removal-related questions to [email protected]
We use certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards that are designed to improve the integrity and security of your personally identifiable information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or store on the Site, and you do so at your own risk. We cannot guarantee that such information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
If we learn of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. We may post a notice through the Site if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive a free written notice of a security breach you should notify us at [email protected]